Director of Athletics to Resign in March

Susan Robinson Fruchtl, SFU’s Director of Athletics and former head women’s basketball coach, has announced her plans to resign from her position in March 2020.

Robinson Fruchtl was head coach of the Red Flash women’s basketball team from 2007-12, before leaving the University to serve as head coach of the Providence women’s basketball team for four seasons. She then returned to Loretto to assume the role of Director of Athletics in April of 2016.

Last season, she served as the interim head coach for the Flash women’s basketball team in addition to fulfilling her responsibilities as Director of Athletics.

“Susan has very positively impacted the lives of our student-athletes here at Saint Francis,” said Father Malachi, the University’s president.

“The day that Susan’s announcement went out, a student-athlete came up to me and said, ‘Why is she leaving?’”

“My reaction was ‘it stinks.’”

Robinson Fruchtl led the women’s basketball team to back-to-back Northeast Conference championships in 2010 and 2011. She was named the NEC Coach-of-the-Year in 2011.

“Being in athletics here at SFU has been great because I get to be around so many amazing student-athletes and coaches each and every day,” said Robinson Fruchtl.

“Building relationships with student-athletes, coaches, other SFU staff members, alumni and  donors has been tremendously rewarding.”

Robinson Fruchtl led the Saint Francis Athletics program to its first-ever Commissioner’s Cup in 2018-19. The Commissioner’s Cup is awarded to the top overall athletics program in the NEC.

“I will miss the people at SFU the most,” said Robinson Fruchtl.  “I am grateful for the life-long relationships I have with so many people here at SFU.”