Professor Emeritus to Share Spooky Stories in Schwab Hall

Professor Emeritus of English Kirk Weixel will be sharing ghost stories in Schwab Hall’s Vista Room on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.

With experience telling spooky stories since the 1970s, Weixel said he is looking forward to the event.

“The pandemic spoiled things,” said Weixel. “It’s nice to be back again.”

Weixel plans to share the tales of local legends, including Fr. Demetrius Gallitzin, the founder of Loretto, and Evelyn Nesbit, a famous showgirl from the early twentieth century.

He will also share the tale of the alleged ghost that lurks in the halls of St. Clare Hall.

Weixel has been collecting local ghost stories since his arrival at the University more than 50 years ago in 1967. He attributes his extensive knowledge of these stories to Connie Collura, a reference librarian and folklorist who first introduced him to many of them.

“I discovered that our region seems to have ghosts everywhere,” said Weixel.

He said he continues to learn of new spooky tales each year from students.

Weixel’s storytelling ability comes from years of experience. He worked on his broadcasting voice during college.

As a graduate student at Duquesne University, he introduced BBC dramas on the school’s public broadcasting station.

Weixel has acted in plays at the Cresson Lake Playhouse and has taken storytelling lessons from a Canadian storyteller.

He has attended Canadian storytelling festivals, listening to and sharing Celtic stories from years past.