Chemistry Majors to Represent SFU at International Conference

Six chemistry majors will be attending “Pittcon 2020” in Chicago from March 1-4. Pittcon is the largest instrumentation analytical chemistry floor show in the world. 

Seniors Michelle Karpinsky, Genell Jasper, Katie Augustine and Hannah Schoeppner, along with juniors Ivory Krise and Victoria Geiser, will work as student aides at the conference. Several of the students will also be presenting some of their research. 

The group will assist with registration, a gift booth, the program office, international services and a social committee. Some will also set up Science Week activities with Rural Outreach Chemistry for Kids (ROCK). 

Students will also be able to wander around the convention in their downtime.

“I’ve been taking Saint Francis students to Pittcon for 21 years so they can be exposed to the latest analytical chemistry research and see the newest instrumentation,” said chemistry professor Rose Clark. 

“Students love the experience and get to meet future employers and people from graduate programs.” 

Karpinsky and Jasper will be presenting their research on acid mine drainage at the conference. Geiser will be presenting her research on cytochrome c and gold electrodes. 

“It is a good opportunity to present the research that I worked on for two summers,” said Geiser. “I also think it’s a way to branch out and meet more scientists.” 

Pittcon is organized by the Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh (SSP) and the Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh (SACP). 

SFU chemistry professor Ed Zovinka is the secretary for SSP and Clark is the chair for SACP. Both will be traveling with the students to Chicago in March.