Students enjoy last weekend before finals at Springfest

Springfest kicked off April 19, providing students an opportunity to enjoy their last weekend on campus before finals week.

Some received manicures from members of the Salon Professional Academy in Altoona. A candy bar was set up for students to get their sugar rush.

Four Sullivan Hall classrooms were transformed into escape rooms and students had 45 minutes to solve a series of puzzles and mysteries.

African dancing was performed in JFK Auditorium on Friday night as well.

Plugged In hosted “A Night of the Arts” at the Boilerhouse. This semi-formal event featured a display of students’ artwork, including paintings, drawings and photographs.

“I’ve been planning Springfest since October,” said Amy O’Hearn, the Student Activities Organization’s vice president of marketing and promotions.

“I’m very pleased with the turnout.”

Saturday’s events started in the auxiliary gym, featuring a student favorite, Skyfall Stunt Jump, where students jump off of a platform and land on a Zero Shock airbag.

Monkey Motion, a set of four trampolines and bungee cords, allowed students to do flips and tricks, and Race to the Top, an inflatable set-up in which students raced to place velcro markers around a course, was also a hit.

Funnel cakes were provided to students and the Dance Club hosted an ice cream social for students to grab a snack during the day.

Other activities included a petting zoo, airbrush tattoos, gladiator jousting and wax hand art.

The Phi Kappa Theta fraternity sponsored a dunk tank where students could dunk a Theta brother. They also sold doughnuts as a fundraiser.

In front of the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, the brothers of Psi Upsilon fraternity held a car smash, where students could slam a sledgehammer into a car.

Doug’s Dawgs, a hot dog vendor from Altoona, was also in Loretto for Springfest festivities.

On Saturday night in JFK Lounge, students had the opportunity to participate in bingo hosted by the Gaming Club. There was also laser tag in the auxiliary gym.

“I enjoyed everything at Springfest,” said freshman Bailey Edwards, a member of SAO.