Zanzuccki Speaker Shares Leadership Lessons

Ron Ward – author, speaker, leadership coach and CEO and founder of 4Ward Operations – visited Saint Francis on Oct. 21.

The Shield School of Business welcomed Ward to campus and the Communications and Criminal Justice Department hosted the event, which was part of the Dr. Albert A. Zanzuccki Chair in Business Distinguished Speakers Series.

During his presentation, Ward shared many stories and lessons that included advice to students on how to succeed in their future careers. He also touched on strategy-building and optimistic approaches to positively impact success.

When asked about how he approaches leadership, Ward said “a leader makes everything and everyone around them better.

“If you don’t understand you, you won’t understand what’s around you. Examine your internal and external situation,” said the Amazon best-selling author.

His presentation included 12 things that Ward said he would tell his 21-year-old self.

Mark Buckwalter, Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice, invited Ward to campus. Ward is the former director of the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC).

Buckwalter and Ward’s relationship began decades ago in law enforcement.

“I’ve known Ron for close to 30 years and I respect his leadership knowledge and managerial abilities,” said Buckwalter, a retired federal agent who served in the U.S. Probation Office for 22 years.

Ward is the author of “The Dirty Side of Leadership,” a book that addresses leadership while detailing the lessons Ward learned throughout his career.

It reminds every aspiring manager, executive and leader that there is a “dirty” side to leadership and offers tips on how to handle difficult leadership challenges when they arise.

On Oct. 22, Ward delivered another presentation at SFU’s Curry Innovation Center in Altoona.