Track and Field Teams Compete at NEC Indoor Championships

The track and field teams competed at the Northeast Conference Indoor Championships on Feb. 20-21.

The Red Flash women’s team finished in fourth place and the men placed fifth in the final team standings. Fifty-eight SFU student-athletes competed at the championships.

The finals were held at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, New York.

The Wagner men’s team captured its second straight NEC Championship while competing just a few miles from the school’s campus. Fairleigh Dickinson finished second.

On the women’s side, the NEC indoor title was shared for the first time in the league’s history. Central Connecticut State and FDU were crowned co-champs after each team scored 98 points.

The Red Flash women’s team had two gold medalists at the championships. Senior Emily Lunger claimed the NEC title in the high jump and senior Adrian Page was the shot put champion.

For the SFU men, junior Nick Hyde (shot put) and freshman Jackson Tuomey (pole vault) were both individual champions. The Red Flash’s distance-medley-relay team of Zach Kohler, Ardonntrell Williams, Matt Berzonsky and Toby Jones also brought home gold to Loretto.

Williams also earned a silver medal in the 60-meter hurdles with a runner-up finish.

“I wanted to run faster, but I feel happy that I came in second place,” said Williams.

COVID-19 restrictions created some challenges for SFU and other participating teams because some athletes could not compete due to quarantines and local regulations.

In order to compete, student-athletes had to show proof of one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two doses of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine to enter the competition venue or competition area.

Members of both teams will be back in action at the IC4A/ ECAC Championships in Centerville, Massachusetts, March 4-6.