SFU Students Collaborate with Penn State Students to Create Research Opportunities

Brooke Driskel, Jordan Pietrzykoski and Nathan Thompson were mentored by Penn State graduate students last semester on how to analyze, conduct and present research.

“The experience was very unique and educational,” said Pietrzykoski.

Pietrzykoski, Driskel and Thompson met with the Penn State entomology graduate students virtually on Fridays. Days and times for lab research varied for participants throughout the semester.

“I had never conducted research before, so this was a great introduction to how a laboratory is run,” said Pietrzykoski. “It was beneficial to be guided by a mentor, who was very helpful in answering any questions I had while also showing me how to use the laboratory equipment, create and execute a research project.

“She really helped me gain confidence in a laboratory setting and the structure of the class guided me through publishing the research.”

The junior Psychology major said that it was a great experience and that she would recommend it to anyone looking to complete undergraduate research.

SFU Assistant Professor of Psychology Shlomit Flaisher-Grinberg and Penn State Assistant Professor of Entomology Etya Amsalem made the collaboration possible.

Flaisher-Grinberg said she hopes to continue the partnership as long as possible.