Business clubs visit Washington, D.C.

The ENACTUS, CSOR and Investment clubs visited Washington, D.C., from Feb. 21-23.

Through connections with SFU alumni, the clubs received private tours of the U.S. Capitol building, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the U.S. Security Exchange Commission (SEC).

Thanks to 1994 SFU alum Daron Denny, ENACTUS and CSOR members were given a private tour of the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 21. The tour afforded students the opportunity to see and experience things not offered on a standard Capitol tour.

The tour provided more than just a glimpse at the inner workings of Congress. Students examined art stored in the Capitol building and hanging on the walls, works that date back two centuries.

“We were in the company of some of the greatest minds in history,” said graduate student Randall Frye. “Thanks to the generosity of an SFU alum, he opened the doors for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

The second day of the trip included more tours, presentations and private panels for the SFU students, including a private presentation by the CFTC.

Established as an independent agency in 1974, the CFTC’s goal is to regulate and promote a safe and competitive trading market by protecting buyers and sellers from fraud and other deceitful acts.

Students then visited the SEC for a private panel discussion. Following the Great Depression, the SEC was established in 1934 to enforce laws such as the Security Act of 1933 and the Security Exchange Act of 1934.

“I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the SEC and what they do for financial and economic policy,” said Alex Kiepert, an ENACTUS member. “I could see myself in a career like this.”

Students were also given the opportunity to explore the city.