Rock-A-Thon raises money for Gamma Sigma Sigma alumna

Nick Stellabotte

Sisters of service sorority Gamma Sigma Sigma pose at their Rock-A-Thon event.

Danielle Gryckiewicz, Campus Life Editor

For the first time ever Gamma Sigma Sigma hosted Rock-A-Thon. The event was hosted in order to raise money for Erin Dean, a Gamma Sigma Sigma alumni sister.

Nursing major Erin Dean has been battling Hodgkin’s Lymphoma for three and a half years. With countless expenses such as hospital trips, stays, medications and treatments, the family was in need of monetary assistance.

“She has never asked for more than prayers and well wishes,” said Gamma Sigma Sigma President, Cassidy Merrifield. “So we knew if we were going to do this for her we had to do something as wonderful as the woman she is.”

Rock-A-Thon is an event where an individual pledges money to help keep the rocking chairs rocking. The chairs rocked for 12 hours straight from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.

Individuals were also given the option of sponsoring a chair; many Greek organizations got involved and sponsored a chair.

Gamma Sigma Sigma has currently raised over $2,600 for Erin.

After her morning treatment, Erin also had the opportunity to come out to the event.

“Gamme Sigma Sigma would like to personally thank everyone who donated, sponsored a chair or rocked in our Rock-A-Thon,” said Merrifield. “It was amazing to see the community come together for such a great cause and to help us raise so much money for Erin Dean.”

Rock-A-Thon ended its event with a live ‘rock’ concert from “The Six,” featuring Chuck Olson and members from “The Clarks.”

The event took place on Friday March 21, 2014 in the JFK lounge.