Project Purple preparations underway

SFU plans week to promote substance abuse awareness.

Project Purple, started by former NBA basketball player, Chris Herren, was launched to create awareness for substance abuse.

*credit to The Herren Project www.goprojectpurple.com

Gabbi Townsend, Assistant Editor

Project Purple will be happening this week on campus starting Monday, January 27 and ending on Friday, January 31. This week-long series of activities is to raise awareness against substance abuse.

Dani Grychiewicz, the creator of this project and Campus Life Editor of the Troubadour, was inspired by listening to former Boston Celtic Chris Herren speak about his drug addiction recovery.

“Someone close to me suffers from drug addictions,” said Gryckiewicz, a sophomore on the SFU Women’s Tennis team. “That’s why I do everything in my power to support individuals suffering addictions.”

Project Purple will kick off on Monday, January 27 with a pledge in Scotus Hall. Students that sign the pledge will receive a free water bottle. Thursday, January 30 is Wear Purple Day and “Purple Out” at the SFU Men’s Basketball game at 7 p.m. Torvian will be serving various purple food items and the Science Center light will glow purple throughout the week.

Gryckiewicz says that it the event would not have been made possible without the support of Assistant Director of Athletics for Academic Services, John Krimmel, and Associate Director of Athletics for Marketing and Communications, Jim Brazill.

“John and Jim have supported Project Purple from the beginning and have done anything and everything to help out with Project Purple,” said Gryckiewicz.

Gryckiewicz hopes that Project Purple will help raise awareness of substance abuse throughout campus and that it will become an annual event.