Criminal Justice, Communications Clubs Sponsor “Building Bridges” Event

The Criminal Justice and Communications Clubs sponsored a lunch-and-learn event titled “Building Bridges” on April 4.

At the event, two members of the Pennsylvania State Police discussed some of the difficult topics that those on the force must address in their day-to-day responsibilities.

Troopers Joseph Dunmore and Tristan Tappe – both members of the Office of Community Engagement for the Pennsylvania State Police – visited SFU for the event and spoke with attendees.

Students participated in the discussion, asking questions about state legislation, day-to-day field work, requirements for the job and other related topics.

“I strongly encourage my Criminal Justice students to be ‘agents of change’ and to work hard to make our legal system better than it is today,” said Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice Mark Buckwalter.

Following the presentation and question-and-answer session,Criminal Justice Club members gave the visiting state troopers stuffed animals that were gathered during a recent collection drive.

The stuffed animals will be provided to children during emergency situations to comfort them.

Several SFU students were also filmed following the luncheon and will be featured on the Pennsylvania State Police’s social media accounts.

“The troopers did an excellent job providing important information in a very informative and easy-to-understand format,” said Buckwalter. “It is essential for individuals to realize that policing/law enforcement is not a regular 9-to-5 job.”