Shields School of Business Students Tour Steelers, Panthers Facilities

Students in the Communications, Marketing and Management programs visited Acrisure Stadium and the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex in Pittsburgh on Oct. 13.

Acrisure Stadium – formerly Heinz Field – is the home venue of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the University of Pittsburgh football program. The Rooney Sports Complex is the training facility shared by both teams.

The group was given a tour of both facilities by Pitt Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Game Operations John Abrams.

Pitt’s Director of Football Communications and Digital Strategy R.J. Sepich also spoke with the students about working in the sports public relations and digital media fields.

The UPMC Rooney Sports Complex is the only training facility in the country that is shared by an NFL franchise and collegiate program. The group got a glimpse of almost all of the work spaces for athletes and staff at both the Southside training complex and Acrisure Stadium.

“I really enjoyed touring the facilities,” said Arianna Keller, a junior Marketing major and Communications minor.

During the presentation from Sepich, students asked questions and gained insight into what it is like to manage public relations for a major collegiate football program.

Sepich, who played a key role in last year’s Heisman Trophy public relations campaign for former Pitt and current Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett, provided the SFU students with many examples from his day-to-day responsibilities.

“Seeing a sports communication environment is helpful for students,” said Associate Professor of Communications Kelly Rhodes. “It was exciting to see what they do and see how everything works.”