Teamwork Makes Homecoming Festivities a Success

I have been planning events through the Student Activities Organization for three years, but planning Homecoming was unlike anything I had undertaken before. I took on this role when our designated Homecoming Chair unexpectedly was unable to return to campus this semester.

I organized a total of six events and spent more than five weeks planning Homecoming Weekend. It was stressful and nerve-wracking, but it was beyond rewarding to see students, faculty, alumni and the community enjoy all of the events. 

There are so many details that go into planning such a major event. I had to organize the parade, find decorations and decorate for the dance, manage the Homecoming Court, contact vendors, reach out to agents to book performers, create promotional materials, and so much more. In addition, I had to set up, coordinate and tear down after each event. 

I would like to send a big thank-you to all of the volunteers from SAO who dedicated so many hours to run Homecoming events. Their hard work behind the scenes made the weekend run smoothly and successfully. They do not get nearly enough credit for all of their hard work and dedication. I would also like to thank the Center for Student Engagement staff – their guidance and assistance made this whole weekend possible.