Drum Events Designed to Help Destress Students

The Fine Arts Department is hosting a Drum and Destress Series on Nov. 4, 11, 18 and 25 at noon, as well as a World Drum and Dance Ensemble on Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in JFK Lounge.

These participatory events will be conducted under the direction of Fine Arts faculty members Jim Donovan and Rachel Allen.  

Gatherings for the Drum and Destress Series include a half an hour of group participation, offering participants the opportunity to establish social connections, learn relaxation exercises, and play rhythm games. 

The World Drum and Dance Ensemble will include traditional West African dances.

Students who take advantage of either of these opportunities have the chance to destress, make new friends, gain social skills, and connect with the community, no matter their backgrounds. 

Those within the campus and area communities are welcome to attend, regardless of their musical ability or whether or not they own a drum.

“I heard that it was fun from students who had already taken it,” said student Justin Vasas. 

Donovan has extensive experience playing in drum circles. He began teaching drumming in 1999. 

“In a drum circle, people learn public-speaking skills, how to work with a team, how to lead, and how to follow,” said Donovan. “We use music to teach a lot of other skill sets, unlike other music education. 

“It’s a full program.”

Vasas is now in his second semester of drumming.

“I would recommend that others join the drum circle, even if they aren’t musically inclined.”