ROTC Students Participate in Fall Field Training

SFU ROTC cadets visited Camp Dawson in West Virginia last weekend for their fall FTX (Field Training Exercise).

The Warrior Battalion – consisting of students from SFU, IUP, UPJ and Mount Aloysius – worked on leadership and tactical procedures at a National Guard base.

“It gives a nice taste of Army life,” said SFU senior cadet Ian Norman. “It is a good experience to be able to go out in the field and it builds camaraderie.” 

Master Sgt. Samuel Alter, a senior military instructor at IUP, accompanied the students to Camp Dawson.

“We are showing cadets the good the Army has to offer and what the military really does,” said Alter.

Cadets were given the opportunity to rappel a tower, compete in dodgeball and capture the flag competitions, and shoot an M4 Carbine at the camp.

“The cadets executed troop-leading procedures without knowing they were doing it,” said Lt. Col. Dennis Faulkner, a professor of Military Science at IUP who also accompanied the cadets to Camp Dawson.

The battalion was tested in various ways, with the MS3s (the junior class) being tested in different ways than the MS1s (freshmen) and MS2s (sophomores).

“The 3s are fine tuning their land-navigation skills, as well as their skills when it comes to working as a team,” said Saint Francis Military Sciences faculty member Jon Walker.

While the MS3 Class was completing land-navigation activities and setting up patrol bases, the MS1s and MS2s received training on weapons and weapon safety.

The primary purpose of FTX is to build a team spirit, while also fostering healthy competition. The experience gives cadets the opportunity to see if this is the path they want to follow in their military careers.