Student share projects at eighth annual Research Day

Saint Francis hosted its eighth annual Research Day on Nov. 15, affording students the opportunity to share information about independent or class research projects with the campus community.

Research Day is organized by the SFU Office of Student Research. Balazs Hargittai, chair of the Chemistry Department, coordinated the event.

“I love the atmosphere of Student Research Day,” said Hargittai. “The whole place is filled with energy and excitement.

“Our students should be proud of all the research they do and this is an excellent way to celebrate them.”

Students across various disciplines shared 35 research posters. All three of the University’s schools – the Shields School of Business, the School of Health Sciences and Education, and the School of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics – were represented by 85 students at the event.

Parents, fellow students, members of the University community and visitors from Franciscan University chatted with presenters and asked questions to learn more about the research on display.

One of the highlights of Research Day are the student presentations. Six students delivered presentations at this year’s event.

This group included Hayley Cottle, Kyra Udziela, Wendelyn Bintrim, James Gresko, Travis Yahner and John Gaughan. Each had approximately 10 minutes to talk about their research ventures.

Yahner, a graduate student at SFU, discussed his research on patient perceptions of a cancer rehabilitation program. His study provided participants with 12 weeks of an individualized exercise prescription.

He said he discovered the importance and overall effectiveness of the program when working with patients.

“Hopefully, it opens their eyes to problems outside their own scope,” said Yahner.