SFU’S Got Talent 2017 Lights Up JFK

The JFK auditorium stage lit up Feb. 3 for the first show of SFU’s Got Talent 2017. Between musical acts, dancers, comedians and even a group of glow-in-the-dark stick figures, the show was a great success.

A record-breaking 14 acts competed for the title of SFU’s Most Talented Student and the top prize of $500. Soloists, duos, trios, and small groups showcased a multitude of different talents.

“It’s a lot of different stuff we’ve never seen before,” said SAO president Marycatherine Horne, “a lot of people that we’ve never seen before. And what’s better than coming out and cheering your friends?”

SAO hosts SFU’s Got Talent every Spring semester, and the show is always a popular event on campus. Even if you are not a registered competitor, there are still ways to win prizes. Dance-offs, sing-offs and even a joke-telling competition are held throughout the show for students to win gift cards.

In addition to the show each week, there will be a concession and a raffle to benefit one of the philanthropies supported by Greek Life.

The show is intended to give students an opportunity to share their talents with the community. This was the perfect opportunity for freshman Olivia Folmer, a musical theater performer. “I’ve sung all my life, and I’ve been performing all my life, and I thought, ‘Why stop while you’re in college?’”

The competition runs each Friday night through February 17 in JFK Auditorium from 8-10 p.m.; admission is free.