Parma Exchange Program Off and Running

The University of Parma exchange program was launched this semester here at Saint Francis, with four students from Italy attending classes in Loretto this spring, and one SFU student, Pauline Macharola, exploring independent life among other international students.

Mary Jean Bujdos, an Italian instructor at SFU, said that it is an amazing opportunity for students who have a passion for international studies, because they get a special immersion experience that is hard to find elsewhere.

Bujdos said the program looks excellent on resumes, and provides students with memories that will last a lifetime.

There are no requirements for the exchange program, aside from participating in the Springtime in Italy study-abroad program.

For next semester, Budjos is hoping to make it an even exchange so the number of students from Italy equals the number of those from SFU traveling to Parma.

According to Saint Francis faculty, the Italian students have adapted well at SFU, both academically and socially.

They have also educated others about their culture through CES events, and several tutor students taking Italian language classes.

“I must admit that I was a bit disappointed the moment I got here. I was expecting this big, huge campus, like in movies, but it is definitely not the same,” said Viorica Bolohan, an Italian exchange student.

“But at the end, I understood that I was in the right place. A place to discover yourself, to be yourself, make friends and learn, learn and learn. Unbelievable how much knowledge can a person achieve.”

According to Bujdos, independence is emphasized in Parma. It is a culture where there is no one to hold your hand, and where you need to figure things out on your own.

“This is ultimately beneficial for students, because it gives them a chance for adventure, finding themselves, and seeing what they are truly capable of,” Bujdos said.

Eglantina Alcani, another Italian exchange student, said that she is enjoying the adventure here at Saint Francis.

“The best part, I think, are the people that I met here and the classes, because you get to see that there’s so much more out there.”

Anyone interested in the program is encouraged to contact Bujdos in Library Room 319 for more information.