Understanding Peer Ministry

Peer ministry is an outreach program that places students of faith in residence halls to be available to fellow students.

“Peer ministers are ‘spiritual ambassadors’ that are to go to where their peers are mentally, physically and spiritually,” said Paul Girardi, SFU’s Associate Director of Campus Ministry.

Peer ministers help students to grow spiritually and experience community, not only by being present for students, but also by organizing programs on campus.

Peer minister Dakota Hartlaub described his role as “a spiritual residence assistant who can’t let you into your room when you get locked out.”

The peer ministers are part of SFU’s larger Campus Ministry, an organization that Girardi said seeks “to weave the Catholic Franciscan identity into students and assist them on their faith journey.”

Peer minister Erin Koehle points out, however, that the group does not play favorites regarding faith.

“Yes, we love Jesus, but we do not force Christianity upon students,” said Koehle. “We welcome all people, no matter the denomination.”

The peer ministry program was launched a decade ago.

Already this academic year, peer ministers have held game nights in residence halls, ice cream socials and a program on the spirituality of Harry Potter.

For more information about getting involved in any aspect of Campus Ministry, contact Paul Girardi at pgirardi@francis.edu.