Faculty participate in annual Denim Day

Leah Kessler, Reporter

Saint Francis celebrated its annual “Denim Day” on Oct. 24 and raised $775 for the fight against breast cancer.

Denim Day is a national workplace fundraiser sponsored by Lee Jeans Inc.  All proceeds raised at the event go to breast cancer research.

“The SFU family has been touched by this horrible disease,” said Maggie Garcia, an associate professor of finance at Saint Francis and one of the organizers of the annual event.  “Not only did we lose a faculty member to breast cancer, but we have breast cancer survivors who work here.”

Denim Day at Saint Francis was initiated by Amy Miko-Donner, a former faculty member at the school.

Since its inception 16 years ago, Saint Francis faculty and staff members have raised more than $10,000 through this event.  Those who donate are asked to wear jeans to work on “Denim Day.”

“It’s really nice to be able to wear jeans – in the School of Business, we are not able to do that often,” said Eric Ecklund an assistant professor of management. “But what is really important is it’s a chance to say we care about this cause and are willing to support awareness of it and hopefully someday eliminate this horrible disease.”

Each Denim Day, a photo is taken of all those who donated, followed by a coffee and donut social.

“Denim Day would not be successful without the help of my fellow coordinators,” said Garcia.

This group includes Janet Adams, Kathy Domonkos, Margie McHenry, Josie Owens, Annette Scanlan and Bev Smith.