Men’s and women’s basketball squads compete in Europe

Lexy Dize, Reporter

The Red Flash men and women’s basketball teams both visited Europe for a taste of international competition during the summer.

The SFU men’s team posted a 2-2 record in its four international games.  The players visited the University’s Ambialet campus during their trip overseas.  Another highlight of the trip was time spent sightseeing in Barcelona, Spain.

“It was a faster-paced game and their players were bigger and much older than most players in the U.S.,” said senior guard Ollie Jackson.  “Overall it was a great experience.”

The Red Flash women’s team visited Italy on its excursion across the pond, spending time in Florence, Milan, Rome, Venice and Verona.  The visit to Rome included a stop at the Vatican.

“It was awesome,” said sophomore center Allison Thompson. “I got to experience things that I would have never have had the opportunity to experience.

The SFU women’s team played three games in Italy, posting victories in all three contests.  In the last game of the trip, the team defeated the “Adriatic Sea Sirens,” 71-69 at the buzzer.

“They play a different tempo than most teams do in the U.S.,” said Thompson.  “It was a much faster game, which helped us because we want to be able to play at a faster tempo.”