Levitin to speak as part of Zanzuccki Lecture Series

Mason Weir, Reporter

Saint Francis’ School of Business will welcome neuroscientist and bestselling author Daniel Levitin to JFK Auditorium on Oct. 2 as part of the Dr. Albert A. Zanzuccki Endowed Chair in the School of Business Distinguished Lecture Series.

His presentation, titled “Leadership and Value in the Age of Information Overload, New Findings from Neuroscience,” will explore the inner workings of the human brain and the brains of exceptionally successful people, including musicians.  The lecture begins at 6:30 p.m.

Levitin is a professor of psychology and neuroscience at McGill University and Dean of Arts and Humanities at the Minerva Schools at the Keck Graduate Institute.

He is the author of three books: “This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession;”  “The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature;” and “The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload.”

“The Organized Mind” was published in August and quickly rose on Amazon’s “Hot New Releases” list.

Levitin has also enjoyed success as a musician, record producer and label executive and has been involved in 14 gold and platinum records. He has consulted on albums with prominent musical figures, including Stevie Wonder, and on popular films “Pulp Fiction” and “Good Will Hunting.”

“The School of Business is very proud to bring Dr. Daniel Levitin to campus as part of the Zanzuccki Endowed Speaker Series,” said John Miko, Associate Dean of Business at Saint Francis.

“Dr. Levitin’s work and research in the fields of cognitive psychology, music and productivity reach across many disciplines and his talk is sure to be interesting and educational to a diverse audience.”

John and Sheila Connors established the Dr. Albert A. Zanzuccki Endowed Chair in Business Administration in December of 2005 to recognize the extraordinary career of Dr. Zanzuccki, a successful accounting professor and former chair of the business department at SFU.

Over the course of 67 years of work at the University, Zanzuccki served as a leader in creating one of the most esteemed accounting programs and business administration departments in Pennsylvania.  He currently volunteers in the University’s Advancement Office and is helping to raise money for endowed business administration scholarships.

The Distinguished Speakers’ Series is an annual event that brings speakers of exceptional success to address the campus community.

To reserve a ticket for Levitin’s presentation, contact Jessica Burgmeier at JBurgmeier@francis.edu or at 472-3087.