Kappies to host charity golf outing

Edward Flippen III, Reporter

The Phi Delta Kappa sorority will host a golf outing on Oct. 11at the Immergrun Golf Course to help the Make-A-Wish Foundation as part of “Wish Week.”

Cost for participating in the “Wish-Upon-a-Par Event” is $30 for students and $35 for non-students. All are welcome at the event, regardless of their level of golf experience.  The event begins at 10 a.m.

The cost covers nine holes of golf, a golf-cart and T-shirt for those who registered before Sept. 30. The Phi Delta Kappa sorority members will also be selling baked goods and other foods during the event. All proceeds will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

In addition to the golf outing, a basket raffle and auction are also scheduled for Oct. 11. Prizes will be given to the player who records the longest drive and gets closest to the pin on specific holes on the course.

The Kappies have been working with the Make-A-Wish Foundation for several years. Other charity events benefiting Make-A-Wish that the sorority conducts are “Kappa-Thon” and “Deal or No Deal.” Theses events will be taking place later in in the 2014-15 academic year.

In the 2013-14 academic year, the Kappies were able to fulfill a child’s wish through the money the sorority raised.  The child was given the opportunity to go on a shopping spree, in which he bought toys not only for himself, but also for the children who were patients an entire wing of a children’s hospital.

This year, the Kappies are hoping to raise enough money to fulfill more than one child’s wish.  In order to complete a wish, the sorority must raise $4,500.

“Wish Week” is a week filled with opportunities to give to good causes. In addition to the golf outing on Oct. 11, “Chipotle Night,” “Sweet Frog Night,” and a 3-on-3-basketball tournament are in the works.