Alternate format offered for healthcare degrees

Tori Martin, Reporter

At a small, tight-knit campus, it’s easy to believe one could recognize any student on university grounds. Yet, there are Saint Francis University students from across the globe that may never step foot on campus.

As of February of 2014, a total of 330 students are enrolled in the online Master of Health Science (MHS) and Master of Medical Science (MMS) programs – most of which the traditional student will never see. These students are from all over the world, some international and others from border to border of the United States. The MHS and MMS programs give students the opportunity to enhance their education online in a convenient and effective way.

The MHS Program is an online post-baccalaureate degree designed for professionals in the healthcare setting who wish to pursue graduate education. The 30-credit program is offered as an online degree, and students, mostly health professionals, are able to complete the program within four to five semesters while maintaining full-time employment.

The MMS Program also provides an opportunity for students from affiliated Physician Assistant (PA) programs to obtain a graduate education concurrently with their clinical clerkship experiences. This 33-credit program enables full-time students to complete their MMS studies in just over one year and graduate with their MMS degree upon successful completion of their PA training. This course of study, which is also offered completely online, requires highly motivated and organized individuals who will be able to dedicate time during their clinical rotations to complete their course requirements.

While these students may be unseen, they are not unnoticed. They put in a great amount of time, effort, and dedication to their studies and the University.  Without the Program Director, Ms. Deborah Budash, and her hardworking staff on the third floor of the library, these programs wouldn’t be possible.

For more information, please contact Jean Kline, the Administrative Assistant for the programs, at jkline@francis.edu.