Students Make Plans for the Summer

The end of the spring semester is in sight. The last day of finals is May 9, marking the start of a summer break from full-time classes for students and faculty.

While activities vary greatly, many students are planning to make some money working part-time jobs, hang out with their friends, spend time with their families, and travel.

Lexanny Gonzalez, a freshman Chemistry major, will travel to Jerusalem with her family. During the trip, she will be baptized at the same location where Jesus was baptized.

Gonzalez will also travel New York City in August to see her favorite artist, Sam Smith, at Madison Square Garden.

Senior Psychology major Abigail Carter will complete a two-month internship with the Haida First Nation at their community friendship center.

Carter will also visit her future graduate school in Nelson, British Columbia, and coach water polo for kids.

Ella Brophy, a freshman History and Political Science major, said she will work the first half of the summer (June and July) as a lifeguard. After that, she’ll be traveling to Ireland to spend six weeks at an Archeology field school.

Sophomore Nate Hayes said he is planning on working a lot, while participating in summer activities such as fishing, waterskiing and beach volleyball with his friends and family.

Hayes will also visit his siblings in New York City and Florida.

Maria Ernst, a junior Physician Assistant major, will be working at Fabletics, an apparel company, a couple of days a week. For Memorial Day Weekend, her family is planning a camping trip.

Ernst will then spend 10 weeks in Physician Assistant didactic year classes. The day after the last final exam of her summer coursework, she will attend a Pink concert at PNC Park in Pittsburgh on Aug. 5 with her mom. After that, it’s a vacation with her family in Ocean City, Maryland.

Junior Management major Connor Weaver will be working at the Starbucks store in Ebensburg this summer.

Weaver will also visit the beach with his friends and attend a wedding in July.