Cybersecurity Program Recognized by NSA, Department of Homeland Security

SFU’s Cybersecurity Program has been recognized by the National Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security. Through 2028, the program will serve as a “National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense.”

The CAE-CD designation requires universities to undergo a comprehensive evaluation and meet strict requirements for their cybersecurity-related programs.

The designation ensures that SFU students will be taught the most current cybersecurity curriculum, one that will help position them for future success in this field.

A letter from the NSA stated that “Saint Francis University’s ability to meet the increasing demands of the program criteria will serve the nation well in contributing to the protection of the National Information Infrastructure.”

Students in SFU’s Cybersecurity Program will also be able to receive financial assistance and other benefits through the FederalCyberCorps Scholarship for Service Program, the Department of Defense Cyber Scholarship Program and the CRA Scholarship Program.

Senior Cybersecurity major Shannon Schmitt said his experience in the program has been a rewarding one.

“When I decided to enroll in the SFU Cybersecurity Program, I had no idea what to expect,” said Schmitt. “The program provided an excellent curriculum, support system and like-minded peers.

“After just three years at SFU, I found a career working for a Fortune 100 company upon graduation.

“Receiving recognition from the NSA and DHS is one of the milestones that any Cybersecurity program aims to achieve. The recognition means the program is teaching the curriculum the NSA and DHS find most important for new workers coming into the field.”

Sam Warner is also a Cybersecurity major at SFU. Warner believes that the CAE-CD designation benefits current students and will also help the school attract future students to the program.

“Incoming students will be able to see how exceptional the program is, and graduating students will have an advantage, since the program is CAE-CD certified,” said Warner.

“Many employers prefer students who attended a CAE-CD institution, since it means the student has taken classes at the highest level of training.”