Men’s Basketball Freshman Sidelined with Injury After Fast Start to Red Flash Career

Freshman men’s basketball player Landon Moore recently joined an exclusive club after earning his seventh NEC Rookie-of-the-Week award on Jan. 18.

Only six other men’s basketball players in league history have won the award seven times. Two of those players are Red Flash alumni. Darshan Luckey won the award seven times in the 2002-03 season. Keith Braxton captured top NEC rookie honors seven times back in 2016-17.

Moore and Luckey are the only players in league history to win the NEC Rookie-of-the-Week award for five consecutive weeks.

“It’s an honor, said Moore, a 6-3 point guard from Bloomington, Illinois. “I worked really hard in the offseason to get to this point, but I couldn’t have done it without my teammates.”

Unfortunately for Moore and his team, the talented freshman has been sidelined for the last five games after breaking and dislocating a bone in one of his fingers in SFU’s 87-68 home win over LIU on Jan. 14.

Following that game, Moore had four screws inserted into his injured finger. Typical recovery time for this surgery is six to eight weeks.

“I was hoping I could pop it back into place and play through it, but surgery was needed,” said Moore. “I hope to be back by the end of the season.”

Before suffering the injury, Moore was leading the team in three-pointers (30) and assists (62) and ranked second on the team in scoring (13.5 ppg).

“He’s composed and, for a freshman, you don’t always see that, especially for a point guard,” said Red Flash head coach Rob Krimmel.

“We challenge our guys to play with emotion – not emotional. At that position, it’s important to have a player that plays with a level head. Landon does.”

The men’s basketball team is in Massachusetts this week for a pair of NEC games against Stonehill (Feb. 2) and Merrimack (Feb. 4).