Occupational Therapy, Education Departments Host “Baby Day” Event

The Occupational Therapy and Education Departments’ annual Baby Day event was held on Nov. 2 in Raymond Hall. Thirty-seven students studying Occupational Therapy and 22 Education majors participated in the event.

The event was organized by Julie Nagle, Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy, and Cassie Grassmyer, Field Experience Coordinator in the Education Department.

This is the first time the Baby Day event has been held since before the pandemic.

The event included four stations of babies that were grouped from infant through 5 years old. The participating students had the opportunity to rotate through each station.

“Students had a chance to play, interact and observe developmental skills through a variety of assessments,” said Grassmyer.

“They also were able to talk to parents and ask questions.”

Sophomore Early Childhood and Special Education major Tess Helms said that the experience was very educational.

“Baby Day was a great opportunity to witness child development first-hand. We were around children as young as 3 weeks old all the way to 5-years-old,” said Helms.

“It was so awesome to play with the kids.”

Grassmyer said that the students were not the only ones who got something out of participation in the event.

“Students enjoyed it, faculty loved watching students interact with the babies, and parents and babies were happy to be at SFU,” said Grassmyer.