Vocation and Finding Purpose in College

“Your vocation in life is where your greatest joy meets the world’s greatest need.”

– Frederick Buechner

And in the blink of an eye, we have reached Week 6 of the semester. I hope you are doing well in your academic, social and spiritual lives. As we approach exam and midterm season, please make time to take care of yourself and your well-being.

These past few weeks, I have been thinking about how purpose can influence the college experience. We have all been stuck in a situation where we feel a lack of purpose: a class we don’t want to take; a boring job; an assignment that just is not engaging.

How can we work to overcome these feelings, especially when it comes to the future? Can we find an on-campus purpose beyond getting a degree?

This is a void that a vocation can fill. Before coming to SFU, I had never heard the term, but through the mentorship of several wise people, it has come to guide my life.

Your vocation is more than a job or even a career: it is the application of your values and mission in everyday life. In this, picking up trash becomes helping the planet; baking cookies for your roommate is a demonstration of compassion.

The simplest things, done with the right mindset, can give you purpose. This seems best summed up by the Franciscan goals of simplicity and joy.

How can you find your vocation here at SFU? Get involved! There is no better way to find your passion than by leaving your comfort zone and trying new things. Whether it be Greek Life, Campus Ministry, athletics, clubs or Student Government – which meets on Thursdays at 6 p.m. in JFK – there are so many ways to become involved.

Trying something outside of your comfort zone will help you find your vocation and “Become that Someone.”