Water Polo Squad Wins Five of First Eight Matches to Open 2022 Season

The water polo team has competed each of the last two weekends and carries a 5-3 record into its action at Princeton, Feb. 12-13.

SFU will play Bucknell and Iona on Saturday, Feb. 12, before facing host Princeton and Villanova on Sunday. The matches against Bucknell and Princeton are the first conference action for the Flash this season. The water polo team competes in the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA).

“Hopefully we can keep the winning streak up when we start playing conference games,” said junior center/forward Taylor Halbauer.

SFU opened the season with four straight wins last month at the Bucknell Invitational.

“Everyone showed up in pretty good shape,” said head coach Jay O’Neil.

O’Neil said he expects Bucknell, Brown and Michigan to be some of the toughest teams in the CWPA this season.

The Flash return almost all of their starters from 2021 and welcome several newcomers to the program who are already making an impact.

One of the freshmen who has contributed significantly through the first two tournaments is Kimberly Frostad. The Saskatchewan native scored seven goals in her team’s season-opening tournament at Bucknell.

“We have some incoming freshmen that will be key players, so I think that the next two years are looking good,” said Halbauer.

For the first time in a number of years, the program has a strong group of upperclassmen to provide leadership and direction to the first-year players.

“I think it helps the younger players develop because they now have players to look up to,” said O’Neil. “When this junior class came in, they didn’t really have upperclassmen to look up to.

“It is a huge plus.”

O’Neil brought in two new goalies this semester who are meshing with the team very well. In a 13-11 win over Siena last weekend at Brown, Grace Raquel made seven saves and fellow freshman keeper Isabel Lumley stopped six shots.