Students Make Super Bowl Predictions

This weekend’s Super Bowl is a matchup between the Los Angeles Rams and the Cincinnati Bengals, two teams that were constructed in very different ways.

The current edition of the Rams was built by trading away future draft picks to acquire star players, including quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Conversely, the Bengals acquired much of their talent through the draft process. Cincinnati QB Joe Burrow was the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft and Bengals wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase was selected number five overall in the league’s 2021 draft.

“Joe Burrow will decimate the Rams’ defense,” said freshman Dominic Brazill. The Management major from Johnstown believes that Burrow will find ways to evade the Rams’ pass rush, much like he did against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game.

“Burrow will lead his team to a game-winning field goal after a big defensive stop by the Bengals,” predicted Brazill. “Bengals win, 27-24.”

Sophomore Sam Barber believes the Rams will hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy on Sunday night.

“Joe Burrow is just too young,” said Barber of the Bengals second-year quarterback. “His inexperience will show up (Sunday) and Matthew Stafford will show up in the big moments.”

Stafford, who like Burrow was also a No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft back in 2009 by the Detroit Lions, has waited 13 seasons to participate in a Super Bowl. This is his first season with the Rams.

One of the key matchups in this game is Chase going up against the Rams’ Jalen Ramsey, who is considered one of the best defensive backs in the league. Another matchup that could be a difference-maker is the Bengals’ offensive line against the Rams’ defensive front.

The Tennessee Titans sacked Burrow nine times in their playoff loss to Cincinnati last month. The Rams’ defensive unit includes arguably the best defensive player in the league in tackle Aaron Donald, as well as linebacker Von Miller, a former Super Bowl MVP with the Denver Broncos.

This reporter’s prediction? Los Angeles 31, Cincinnati 17. Enjoy the game.