School of Business Alumni Return to Campus for Mentorship Day

The Shields School of Business welcomed 45 alumni back to campus on Oct. 8 as part of its fourth annual Mentorship Day.

“Bringing our successful alums back to campus to provide guidance, advice and insights to our current students is such an affirming experience for me and the entire SSOB faculty and staff,” said Associate Dean John Miko.

“We get to see our former students help our current students on their personal and professional journey.”

This marked the fourth Mentorship Day hosted by the SSOB and this year’s program offered a new addition. Students had the opportunity to sign up for 20-minute one-on-one sessions with returning alumni of their choice.

These one-on-one sessions provided an opportunity for more informal conversation, as well as the chance to connect directly with alumni.

“I chose to speak to Marcus Penny, a 2003 graduate,” said Teon Reed, a junior business analytics major. “We had a very relaxed conversation about his career path and how his experience could help me navigate through the professional world.

“He reached out to me a few days later and offered me an internship with his start-up company, Techabo.”

Mentorship Day’s one-on-one sessions were an extension of the School of Business’ Backpack-to-Briefcase Program. This program helps prepare students for their future business professions, with mentors to guide them along the journey.

On Mentorship Day, many students gained insight and advice that will help them when entering the professional world. They also gained deeper insight into possible career goals.

In many cases, returning alumni invited students into their professional network, offering expertise, personal knowledge and tips while cultivating an individual connection.

The returning alumni participated in panel sessions during the morning of Mentorship Day. These panels were followed by the one-on-one sessions in the afternoon.