Student Creates Club to Advocate for Those With Disabilities

Senior Jocelyn Sheehan, a special and early childhood education major, has launched a club called CARES.

The club name stands for Community, Advocate, Respect, Educate and Support.

“The main reason I started the club is because I did not feel like there was a lot of representation on campus,” said Sheehan. “As a person with a disability, it can get really lonely when you feel like you are the only one.”

Membership in the newly formed CARES Club is not restricted to students with disabilities. Those who want to learn more about those with disabilities, or who want to become an ally to this community are welcome to join.

The goals of the CARES Club include creating a community where students with disabilities can share common experiences, as well as educating and advocating for better accessibility on campus, as well as around the world.

“We want to give more awareness to the different visible and invisible disabilities,” said Genevieve Miller, vice president of the club.

Miller said she wants the club to be a safe place for students to talk about their disabilities and how they affect their day-to-day lives.

At the club’s first meeting earlier this month, members collaborated and shared ideas. Topics discussed included community service and advocating for better accessibility. They hope to host several upcoming events on campus.

The CARES Club’s next meeting is Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. in Padua 112. If you are interested in learning more, contact Sheehan at jsheehan@francis.edu.