SAAC to Help Lead Events During Mental Health Week, March 15-19

The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is hosting virtual and in-person events March 15-19 as part of Mental Health Week. 

The Counseling Center, the Active Minds Organization and student-athletes from all different sports will be leading the initiative. Every Red Flash athletics program, as well as some of the teams’ coaches, will be involved.

“We have a few different topics on the docket this semester,” said Sarah Ross, Associate Director of Student-Athlete Development and Academic Services. 

“Mental health, as it pertains specifically to student-athletes, eating disorders and disorder eating, mental health for males, and mental health as it specifically pertains to BIPOCs (Black, Indigenous and People of Color).” 

Student-athletes will be providing all of the content for the various programs throughout the week, giving personal testimonies about mental health, leading team discussions, sharing statistics, and participating in team-building challenges.

“As a student-athlete, you have some pretty busy days between school and athletics,” said Elyssa Enrique, a senior lacrosse player and Health Science major. 

“It is vital that we create an inclusive environment on campus so that people feel comfortable reaching out for help if they need it.”

SAAC is a student-run organization for athletes, with two representatives from each team. Its mission is to enhance the student-athlete experience by providing a voice for athletes, as well as conducting regular meetings to address sport-related and personal concerns.

“My team’s role in Mental Health Week was first to decide which events we wanted to put on,” said Enrique, “and then spread the word about the various events that will take place throughout the week.”

Living within, and coping with, a more virtual world will be one of the main topics on next week’s agenda. 

“A reoccurring theme students are facing right now is a lack of connection within our virtual world,” said Ross. 

“We are hoping we can help combat that with some safe, in-person events.”