Explore Another Culture by Studying Abroad

As the fall semester is coming to a close, it is time to start thinking about what you want to do for Spring Break 2020. Through the Study Abroad Office, there are many opportunities for spring break trips, including Spring Break in London and the various HUGS (Helping the Underprivileged by Giving our Service) programs.

During the Spring Break in London trip, upper-level Business majors and MBA students travel to London and earn credits in an innovative hybrid course titled Great Britain and the European Union in the Global Economy. This opportunity is also available for upper-level students of any major interested in the European economy.

Other spring break trips include the HUGS Alternative Spring Break Trips to the Bahamas, Ecuador, and recently added, Florida. During the trip to the Bahamas, Education, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Science majors work with community partners.

The trip to Ecuador is a medical mission trip led by Carrie Beebout, a faculty member in the Physician Assistant Program. This trip is geared for Physician Assistant, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Public Health, Education and Spanish majors. Activities on this trip include shadowing doctors in a health clinic, a tour of a hospital, assisting doctors with nutritional advice, and home visits to patients.

A trip to Kissimmee, Florida, is a new offering in Spring 2020. During this trip, students will assist children with critical illnesses and their families at Give Kids the World Village.

In addition to these Spring Break trips, multiple short-term summer programs are available. Added to the list this summer is the Marine Science in Bonaire program. If you have ever dreamed of learning how to scuba dive, consider registering for the MS 101 course in the Spring.

If you are already a scuba diver and interested in learning about Bonaire’s ecology, consider signing up for the Coral Reef Ecology class.

Another opportunity over the summer months is the International Sign Language Immersion Trip to Punta Cana. During this trip, ASL students use the skills they have developed in the classroom with a hands-on approach by immersing themselves in Punta Cana’s deaf resort.

Recently added to the study abroad list is the End of Life Care Seminar in Ambialet, France. During this program, students will develop communication strategies for Palliative Care, Patient Preferences, and Family Dynamics in End of Life Care. This new program is available to undergraduate students who have previously spent a semester in France, graduate students, faculty and professionals and non-professionals with an interest in End of Life Care seeking professional development credentials.

Additional summer programs include Cross-Cultural Studies in Italy, Social Work in Taiwan, and Spanish in Costa Rica. During the Cross-Cultural Studies in Italy, students will visit a variety of sites to study art history, economics, health sciences, food and the local culture. During the Social Work in Taiwan program, students will gain insight within a different environment while learning about new practices and understandings of traditional and modern customs. Both the Italy and Taiwan programs are offered every other year.

Students will be fully immersed in the culture during SFU’s Spanish in Costa Rica program, as they will live with host families and take classes from Costa Rican instructors. During this trip, students will study at three different campuses.

If students are looking for an extensive global experience, applications for the 2020 Fall Semester in France program are currently being accepted. During the fall semester, students will visit Barcelona, Paris and Amsterdam. Along with the core classes of FREN 112, FNAR 102, and RLST 390, students are given the opportunity to take other classes, including BIOL 205, CORE 407, MKTG 101 and MGMT 201.

If you are interested in any of these opportunities, visit the Office of Study Abroad in Scotus 205.