Track and Field Teams Open Indoor Season

The men’ and women’s track and field teams traveled to Bucknell on Dec. 7 to open the indoor season.

It was a day full of competitive spirit as returning team members and freshmen finally got the opportunity to showcase their skills against other competition.

“It was a very solid opener for the team,” said assistant coach Chene Townsend. “I am excited to see how the season progresses.”

On the men’s side, junior Christopher Fredrick took third in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.88, which broke the previous school record of 6.90. Freshman Nick Hyde broke the school’s shot-put record with a throw of 57 feet, one-and-a-half inches.

Other notable performances were turned in by sophomore Taemar Willis, who placed first in the high jump, and senior Christian McFadden, who finished third in the 300-meter dash.

On the women’s side, there were several performances that landed student-athletes onto SFU’s Top 10 all-time indoor performance list.

Sophomore Mylan Crews set a personal record of 7.69 in the 60-meter dash, which placed her third at the meet and third on the all-time list.

“It was great to finally get out on the track and run against other schools,” said Crews. “I think we performed well as a team.”

In their first meet as collegians, freshmen Aaliyah Vandergrift, Marlena Jacobs and Madeline Murphy were also able to land onto the Top 10 all-time indoor performance list in their respective events.

The teams return to action on Jan. 11 at Albany’s Great Dane Classic.