Dorothy Day Center preps for Easter distribution

Volunteers at the Dorothy Day Center have been preparing Easter baskets for local families in need in advance of the Center’s annual Easter Distribution on April 16.

“My role this year was finding and putting the families on the Easter Distribution list,” said graduate assistant Ryan Cox. “We didn’t have a strict search process – we just looked for families that were in need.

“We just want to give back to our clients, so they have one less stress for the holidays.”

Letters were sent to qualifying families, notifying them of the day they will can pick up their Easter meal and baskets for their children. This year the center is helping 93 families.

“We have our regular food clients, and then other folks who come in here because of certain circumstances like a fire or having to leave a violent situation,” said Mary Adams, Assistant Director of the Center.

Included in the baskets are food items for a traditional Easter dinner, such as a ham, as well as food to make some regular meals, such as spaghetti. This year’s baskets also include a blanket.

Adams encourages students to visit the center and offer suggestions on what children might like in their Easter baskets. She also said that students could organize item drives, not just on campus, but around the area.

The Easter Distribution is funded primarily for through donors. Adams estimated that it costs about $3,000 to create the baskets. The Dorothy Day Center also distributes food packages for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

“One of the best ways that students can really get involved is to be aware,” said Cox. “Be aware of not just Dorothy Day, but how families in the area are in need.

“It takes a lot of people, not just one person, to make a difference.”