SFU celebrates Chinese New Year

International Student Programs (ISP) at SFU held its second Chinese New Year celebration in the Vista Room of Schwab Hall on Thursday, February 8.

More than 80 people, including faculty, SFU students and Chinese students from local high schools, joined this event to celebrate the Year of Dog for Chinese students on campus.

Students and faculty chat during Chinese New Year.

“It’s a great atmosphere to have so many people gathered here for our celebration. Everyone’s talking and celebrating,” said Sam Heikinen, the director of ISP.

“This year, we invited three (local) Catholic high schools’ Chinese students to join us, which are Bishop McCort, Bishop Guilfoyle and Bishop Carroll,” said Heikinen.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to have these high school students join us and communicate with the current students and faculty at SFU so that they will be able to know more about our university and our program.”

ISP provided Chinese traditional food including handmade dumplings, lo mein, teriyaki chicken and snacks such as the Chinese kit kat and Vita soy milk for visitors.

“I went to the Chinese supermarket in State College with Brother Shamus and two other students, Wang Hai and Zhang Yutong,” said Zheng Guofeng, sophomore at SFU. “I love doing it since we get to meet lots of people. I graduated from Bishop McCort, and it was awesome to see some of my high school friends.”

Brother Shamus and Ms. Kelly Mack enjoy delicious Chinese food.

Brother Shamus was very pleased with the outcome of the event and the students’ involvement.

“Yutong and Hai helped us a lot. They made the dumplings themselves and cooked them well for everybody,” said Brother Shamus.

“We showed the 2017 CCTV New Year’s Gala on the TV, and everyone from the three communities were all watching the show and talking to each other, which created a great atmosphere.”