Flash Forte entertains campus community

Flash Forte is a first-year acapella group of Saint Francis students who have delivered performances this year at various campus events.

The group performed at two men’s basketball games, one men’s volleyball game, the dance team’s spring recital and the “SFU’s Got Talent” Show.

Flash Forte also delivered “sing-a-grams” to students in Torvian Dining Hall on Valentine’s Day. A student would buy a small card for another student and Flash Forte would deliver the card to its recipient and perform a song for them, right at their seat in the dining hall.

The group’s last performance of the 2016-17 academic year will be at the annual Special Olympics event on campus.

The founder of the 12-member group is sophomore Aundrea Wolford.

“I’ve had a passion for music since I was really young,” said the Willowick, Ohio, native. “I also developed a love for acapella music and I started listening to it all the time.”

This was not the only reason she started the group. With more than half of Saint Francis’ student body involved in collegiate athletics, Wolford said it is sometimes hard for people with interests outside of sports to find people to connect to and have fun with on campus.

“Flash Forte is for people like me, (someone) who isn’t an athlete and who doesn’t really fit into a specific category of students,” said Wolford.

The acapella group is also for those who are looking for a break from the stress of college.

“Singing is a huge stress reliever!” said Wolford. “It helps me through a lot with my personal life and with the stress of my academic responsibilities.”

Flash Forte member Taylor Peruso said music and singing are activities she enjoys and can pursue with the group.

“I was really excited when I first heard about it (Flash Forte),” said Peruso. “I didn’t think I would have a chance to do anything like this, so I was happy to find out that I actually could.”

Wolford said she is surprised how much recognition the group has received in its first year.

“We went from people not knowing who we were, to people asking us to perform.” said Wolford. “I am just shocked and blessed to have things turn out the way that they did!”