Filed under Showcase, Sports

SFU softball wins 13 in a row

Jason Wise Photography

Jason Wise Photography

Saint Francis may not be one of the larger schools in Division I athletics, but Red Flash softball is winning big and making a statement this season.

Entering Saturday’s Northeast Conference action at Fairleigh Dickinson, the program is on its longest winning streak since 1998, winning 13 in a row.

The team is 25-8 entering conference play, including wins over Texas Tech, East Carolina, Tulsa, North Texas, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Liberty and Fordham.

“Most places we travel to, not many people have heard of us, or they think they’re just guaranteed a win,” said junior Jordan Seneca. “If they are thinking that, than they have no idea what is coming.”

The NCAA’s first Rating Percentage Index of the season was released this week and Saint Francis ranks 56th, a program best. For two weeks in a row, SFU has received votes for the Top 25 in the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Division l Poll, and the team has raked in various weekly awards.

Last week, Seneca won her fifth NEC Player-of-the-Week award after she took over the national lead in home runs and RBI following her performance at the Texas Tech Invitational, March 17-19. She was also named FastPitchNews National Player-of-the-Week after a two-grand slam performance is a 12-10 victory over Texas Tech.

Senior pitcher Ethel Santai went 3-0 with a 0.46 earned run average and a perfect game against East Carolina at the Texas Tech Invitational to capture the NEC Pitcher-of-the-Week award last week.

The Red Flash have battled back after trailing in the beginning of games, to shutting out teams in the final innings. Entire team efforts have kept the program winning against schools that many wouldn’t expect them to compete against.

While the team is aware of who they are up against each game, they do not put all of their focus there. They set their motivation on who they are as a team.

“Our team does think about the name of the school we play,” said Seneca, “but we think about the greatness that comes from beating a well-known school.”

Freshman pitcher Abby Trahan has been outstanding early in her collegiate career and currently carries a 10-3 record and a 2.79 ERA.

“I’ve prepared myself mentally and physically to be in these situations” said the Kaplan, Louisiana, native. “It doesn’t matter the name or the team.”

Trahan has earned the NEC Rookie-of-the-Week award four times. She led the Red Flash on the mound with a 4-0 record and 1.05 ERA at the Liberty Classic in early March.