Filed under Showcase, Sports

Jerome preps for NFL Draft

Lorenzo Jerome has been a part of many Saint Francis’ firsts.

He was the first Saint Francis football player to earn All-Northeast Conference distinction four straight years.

He was the first Saint Francis and NEC player to be invited to the National Football League’s annual training combine.

Now he is looking to become the first Red Flash player to be drafted by an NFL team since Ed Stofko was taken in the ninth round of the 1944 draft by the Chicago/Pittsburgh Cardinals/Steelers.

Jerome was one of 60 defensive backs nationwide to be invited to the NFL Combine on March 6 in Indianapolis. He was one of just 25 safeties from around the country to make the trip to the combine.

Jerome said he and the other combine participants took the opportunity seriously, while also enjoying the experience.

“It was a business atmosphere, but also fun,” said Jerome. “You are worth money, so you have to walk around like you are a professional.”

A number of Jerome’s coaches joined him at the combine, including Red Flash defensive coordinator Marco Pecora.

Jerome opened the combine with the 225 bench press test, benching that weight 11 times. He was clocked at 4.71 in the 40-yard dash.

“If you are the smartest person at your school, but you did not study the right material for a test, you aren’t going to do as well as some of your other classmates,” said Pecora.

“The 40 is a test and you have to be prepared and have studied how to take that test. Lorenzo ran well when you break down his 40, he just messed up his start, which dropped his overall time.”

Other drills Jerome completed in Indianapolis included the W drill, the hip fluidity drill and the ball location drill.

“I thought he tracked, located and caught the ball exceptionally well and I thought any drill where he had to open his hips, he looked exceptional,” said Pecora.

SFU’s defensive coordinator likes Jerome’s chances at getting drafted.

“He is a relentless worker, leader and competitor,” said Pecora. “He can make plays in the box, out of the box and in the kicking game, so his versatility is going to be huge, especially early in his career.”

The 2017 NFL Draft will be conducted April 27-29.