Opening Mass held on the mall

The new semester was ushered in on with the Mass of the Holy Spirit on August 23, celebrated by Rev. Malachi Van Tassell, T.O.R., President of Saint Francis University.

“The purpose of the Mass of the Holy Spirit is so that we can pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to guide us during the academic year,” said Director of Campus Ministry, Fr. Chris Dobson, T.O.R.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit include: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord.

Fr. Chris opened the Mass with an opening hymn before students, employees and others in attendance heard the readings.

“I think that the Mass really helped to emphasize the importance of the Holy Spirit in the Catholic faith as the third person of the Trinity,” said Mary Hinz, a senior, mathematics major.

“We tend to focus on God the Father and God the Son, but we don’t emphasize God the Holy Spirit.”

The color of the priest’s vestment was red for this Mass, because the Holy Spirit is often depicted as tongues of fire when the Holy Spirit was imparted to the disciples.

The Mass was held outside on the mall at 12:15 p.m. Classes followed a compressed schedule to allow students an opportunity to attend the Mass.

Mass is offered daily in the Immaculate Conception Chapel at noon throughout the semester.

Fr. Malachi, opening mass, Fraley