SFU Field Hockey Standouts to Participate in Junior Pan-American Games

Field hockey players Shannon Pereira and Brianna Govia have been chosen to represent their respective countries in the upcoming Junior Pan-American Games.

The Games are a qualifier for the Junior Women’s World Cup, which will be contested in Chile, beginning Nov. 23.

Govia will represent her native Trinidad and Tobago. The freshman scored four goals from her midfield position for Saint Francis last season and was named to the Atlantic 10 Conference’s All-Rookie team.

“At the age of 14, she was a member of the Trinidad and Tobago team that competed in the U21 Pan-American Junior Championships in 2012,” said SFU head field hockey coach Stacey Bean.

Govia has previous experience representing Trinidad and Tobago in the Junior Pan-American Games. She has competed against multiple countries with her national team.

Pereira will be representing Canada in the Junior Pan-American Games and is working hard to possibly represent her country in the 2020 Olympics.

The 2015 All-Atlantic 10 Conference selection has represented her native province of Ontario in national and international tournaments.

“She was one of only seven junior-age group players in the country to receive an invitation to train full-time with the Canadian Women’s Senior National Team,” said Bean.

“It is a tremendous accomplishment having two current Red Flash field hockey student-athletes chosen to represent their respective countries.”

Govia will be away from campus for two weeks this spring semester while training with her Junior World Cup team.

Pereira will be training with Canada’s national team.