Students and Community Members Join in Annual March Against Abortion

More than 200 people participated in the March for Life on campus on Jan. 22, coinciding with the annual anti-abortion march in Washington, D.C.

The march is held every Jan. 22 in protest of the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision by the Supreme Court, which legalized abortion in the United States.

According to Associate Director of Campus Ministry Paul Girardi, students from Bishop Guilfoyle High School in Altoona and Bishop Carroll High School in Ebensburg participated in the event, as well as members of the surrounding community.

The event began with recitation of the rosary in the chapel, where Girardi led a group prayer before the march. SFU President Fr. Malachi Van Tassell presided over a Mass following the march.

“If people want to come and do one lap, then come in the church to prepare for Mass, great!” said Girardi. “It’s the presence, it’s the prayers. As Father Malachi said, ‘it’s that witness to the cause.’”

Eileen Shoemaker, an occupational therapy and Spanish double-major, participated in the march and enjoyed the community environment.

“It was neat to realize that we’re making an impact where we are – right here,” said Shoemaker. “Even though this event wasn’t as big as the march on Washington, we’re still influencing this local community.”

This year’s event marks the third March for Life on campus. Girardi plans to change the name of the event to “March on the Mountain,” and coordinate with priests on campus to offer the sacrament of confession during the march.

“I think that when people come together with a united cause,” said Girardi, “when they have passion about that cause and when they pray, it can be a powerful, moving experience.

“And that can send a message and bring light to the cause which they represent.”