SFU students, faculty provide dental care to needy

Jordan Gorsuch, Reporter

Six SFU students and two faculty members volunteered at MOM-n-PA, the second Pennsylvania Dental Mission of Mercy, held Sept. 12-13, in Allentown. More than 2,000 free dental procedures were performed over the two-day mission.

Literature and Languages faculty members Lauri Chose and Tim Bintrim accompanied the students. The volunteers assisted with MOM-n-PA’s six clinic departments: dental cleanings, fillings, extractions, pediatrics, dentures and root canals.

“Students started out doing instrument sterilization,” said Bintrim, “but by being ambitious – by talking to the right people – they ended up assisting in the procedures and learning a lot.”

Gabrielle McDermott, a senior biology pre-professional/English major, volunteered in dental X-ray, where she assisted caregivers.

“Afterwards, all the volunteers were given starfish key chains,” said McDermott.  “They represented the tale about the boy throwing them out to sea to save them.

“We didn’t save the world but we made a difference, and that felt good.”

Efficiently serving the needs of 2,000 patients required a lot of coordinating. There were 34 different departments and each one had a different function. Program coordinators appointed a qualified leader for each of the 34 departments.  These leaders then provided direction to the volunteers.

“I was surprised by the amount of non-native speakers – almost 50 percent,” said Bintrim. “Watching these families so out of place and, in this case, in pain, be comforted by our translators and volunteers was very rewarding.”

The next MOM-n-PA takes place in Harrisburg in late May 2015. Bintrim said SFU hopes to send volunteers to this event next spring.