Fast start for Red Flash Softball Squad

Erik Walker, Reporter

The Saint Francis softball team has gotten off to one of its best starts in school history.  The team is currently 19-11 and 2-0 in the Northeast Conference. 

On April 2, in the first game of a doubleheader at Penn State, the team posted one of its biggest upset victories in recent memory, defeating the Nittany Lions, 4-2 in eight innings.

Third-year head coach Jennifer Patrick-Swift is proud of her team’s efforts.

“This is the most players that I ever had on the team,” said Patrick-Swift.  “I knew if our talent played at the level I know they’re capable of playing, we could make a statement in and out of conference. “

Erika Renwick, the Senior Woman Administrator in SFU’s Department of Athletics, said she is a little surprised by the team’s fast start.

“The coaching staff has done a great job with recruiting,” said Renwick.  “They branched out a little and found some great talent in areas we’ve never gone to.”

Catcher Chelsy Cosentino and senior infielder Davina Kachnovitz have provided significant leadership that has been instrumental in the team’s success.

“I just want to be a motivator on the field,” said Kachnovitz.  “Whatever the circumstances may be, I want to be able to boost my teammates.”

Patrick-Swift is greatly appreciative of these efforts.

“They’ve done a great job setting examples for the younger players,” said Patrick-Swift.  “I can always count on them to get the job done.”

In addition to the senior players, some of the freshmen have had an immediate impact in 2014.

“We brought in a core of solid freshmen,” said Patrick-Swift.  “Three of those freshmen are pitchers who we feel we can put in the game in any situation.”

Kachnovitz said she is excited to see her younger teammates making a contribution so early in their careers.

“I thought our freshmen would come out timid, “said Kachnovitz, “but they came out and preformed to their full potential, which is what we needed.”

One freshman who has really stood out is Alexis Bower.  A pitcher from Williamsport Area High School in Logan Station, Pa., Bower has won 10 games in the circle and has hit .337 through 28 games.

“She is somebody that I recruited in the past three years before she got to campus,” said Patrick-Swift. “I really felt that she could come and make an immediate impact.”

Bower was named Lycoming County Player-of-the-Year two years running by ESPN during her high school career.  Through 30 games at SFU, she leads her team in home runs (six), RBI (31), total bases (54), slugging percentage (.600), wins (11) and strikeouts (47).

“I nicknamed her ‘the bulldog,’” said Patrick-Swift.  “When she is on the mound, she is focused. She may be a freshman by class, but she doesn’t play like a freshman at all.”

Considering the fact that the softball team has not had much of an opportunity to practice on its field because of unfavorable weather conditions, what the team has accomplished is even more remarkable.  The team has practiced in the Stokes Athletics Center’s Auxiliary Gym and has tried to be as productive in these practices as possible, but it is not the same as being outside.

“It’s been frustrating not being able to go on our own field to practice because of weather conditions,” said Kachnovitz.

Kachnovitz said it is very different practicing indoors.

“It’s not realistic,” said Kachnovitz.  “Balls are bouncing everywhere and it makes it more difficult.”

Patrick-Swift said she tries her best not to let the lack of practicing on the field become a distraction.

“If we focus on that, then we are missing the big picture” she said.  “Instead, we have to focus on what we can do in order to get better and not make excuses.”

Even the players acknowledge the effects of a different playing situation.

“I don’t know how our practicing in the Auxiliary Gym has transferred to the field,” said Kachnovitz, “but it has all worked out so far.”