Golden Girls impress at skills showcase

Besides basketball, the Red Flash womens players are also teaching the Golden Girls some dance moves, including the dougie.  In return, the Golden Girls have taught the SFU players how to polka.  Left to right: Aisha Brock, Bridget Murphy, Phyllis Lilly, Taylor Allison, Shaqeia Stokes and Alexa Hayward.

Nerissa Duncan

Besides basketball, the Red Flash women’s players are also teaching the Golden Girls some dance moves, including the “dougie.” In return, the Golden Girls have taught the SFU players how to polka. Left to right: Aisha Brock, Bridget Murphy, Phyllis Lilly, Taylor Allison, Shaqeia Stokes and Alexa Hayward.

Nerissa Duncan, Reporter

Several new members of the Saint Francis women’s basketball team showed off their stuff on Saturday, Feb. 8, at halftime of the Red Flash’s game against Sacred Heart.

The group showed off the skills they have been sharpening over the last couple of months of training with the SFU women’s squad. And while they might be a little older than their new teammates, the “Golden Girls” still know how to have fun.

Members of the SFU women’s basketball team have been teaching the Golden Girls – retired residents from the surrounding area – some of the fundamental techniques of basketball since the start of the semester.

The Golden Girls showed off what they learned at halftime of the Sacred Heart game, much to the delight of those in attendance.

“They were ‘balling out’ on the court on Saturday,” said Red Flash junior guard Alexa Hayward.

The idea to collaborate with the Golden Girls formulated when Red Flash head coach Joe Haigh and assistant coach Adam Barrett were at a restaurant grabbing some lunch. They saw a group of women eating breakfast a couple seats away. The group looked like they had just finished working out.

“The first one I spoke to was an older woman by the name of Phyllis Lilly,” said Barrett. “The other ladies refer to her as the ‘ring leader.’”

Barrett and Lilly exchanged contact information and soon the Golden Girls invaded Loretto.

The group has grown steadily and is up to 15 participants. The newest member – Casey Wray  – said she loves the opportunity to be a part of the group and to learn from the Red Flash women’s basketball players.

The SFU players feel the same way about the Golden Girls.

“It is a great experience,” said Hayward. “And a lot of the women have improved in their dribbling and shooting as their confidence has grown.”

Wray says she is enjoying the experience.

“I have children who played basketball in the past and I used to watch what they did,” said the Cresson resident. “Now is a perfect time for me to get into it and learn some news things for myself.”

The Golden Girls have become regulars at SFU’s home games.

“It’s fun – getting a chance to teach and to play with the ladies,” said senior forward Alli Williams.

Lilly says she has discovered more about the sport than she ever thought she would.

“I have learned so much – from setting a screen to the correct way to shoot,” said Lilly. “My favorite is the three-man weave.”

Williams says she isn’t sure which group enjoys the experience more – the Golden Girls or the SFU players.

“We are definitely going to continue this program,” said Barrett. “It gives our girls a chance to be involved with basketball and at the same time give back to the community. And everyone is enjoying it.”