SFU Participates in Operation Christmas Child

Students affiliated with Campus Ministry’s Cru Group helped fill 31 shoe boxes for children in need around the world this Christmas season last month at the Boiler House. 

Operation Christmas Child (OCC) is an international relief organization run by Samaritan’s Purse. OCC’s mission is “to provide local partners around the world with shoe boxes filled with small toys, hygiene items, and school supplies as a means of reaching out to children in their own communities with the Good News of Jesus Christ.” 

Junior Allison Shuke coordinated, planned and promoted the packing party. 

“I love the idea of helping children that aren’t getting anything for Christmas and don’t have much to begin with,” said Shuke. 

“I just thought it was good to be able to give them something that would make their Christmas more exciting.”

Members of the Saint Francis community donated supplies for the boxes, as well as money to help cover shipping costs. Others helped at the packing party by choosing a gender and age group, filling the box with appropriate items, and praying over the box for its future recipient.

“I signed up to buy for a 4-year-old girl, so I had the opportunity to pick out the cutest presents for her,” said Cru leader Kaitlyn Kline.

“Sending these small packages is a way for us to show God’s love to them without physically being there with them.”

After the shoe boxes were filled, Shuke delivered them to Campus Ministry to be sent to a local OCC processing center. Each box is individually checked to make sure it abides with OCC guidelines (no food, candy, liquids or war-related items).

Cru plans to continue the shoe box outreach in the future. Shuke and Kline said they hope to get the word out earlier next year to get more students involved with the initiative.