SFU ranks in top 20 percent nationally in economic mobility of graduates

According to a New York Times report on economic diversity and student outcomes, Saint Francis ranks in the top 20 percent nationally when it comes to the economic mobility of its graduates.

The findings were published by the Equality of Opportunity Project, which studied students from almost all colleges in the country. Researchers measured how much students earned in the years after they either graduated or left campus. The study also examined anonymous financial aid documents and tax filings.

“I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well we ranked in terms of national rankings,” said Father Malachi Van Tassell, President of the University and a former faculty member in the Accounting Department at SFU.

“I knew in terms of employment in Western Pennsylvania, and in terms of where our graduates land, that we do very well, but it was the first time I had seen that information.

“It was a pleasant surprise to see where we fell.”

By the age of 34, SFU graduates are among the top 12 percent in the nation, with a median income of $51,300. Compared to students from other colleges and universities in Pennsylvania, Saint Francis ranks in the top 12 percent in economic mobility.        

“The evidence is in the numbers,” said Management Information Systems Professor John Miko in an interview with SFU’s Office of Marketing and Communications. “Saint Francis University students are getting a proper return on their college investment and improving their quality of life through their careers.”

The New York Times touted the project as the most comprehensive study of college graduates ever conducted.

“This is one were going to spotlight,” said Father Malachi.