Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

SFU Global Buddies Program hosts successful event

The Global Buddies Program held their second Speed Dating Event at SFU on Feb. 5, 2018, at the JFK Student Center.

“Global Buddies Program at SFU pairs one international student with one domestic American student to build a friendship and improve cultural awareness,” said one of the coordinators of the program, Soyoung Burke.

The purpose of this Speed Dating Event was to establish friendships between international students and American students.

“Students are able to request a Global Buddy for the remainder of the semester for one-on-one meetings,” said Kelly Beegle, one of the coordinators of the program

Arlan Zelenky, an American student, thought the partners were matched up well. He and his partner Lyucheng had a lot in common.  “We had a really interesting conversation about differences in money from the U.S. and China,” Zelenky said.

“Arlan is an awesome guy … This event is perfect for me since I wanted to meet more American students than just hanging out with my own people,” said Lyucheng Zhang, an international student from China.

In fall 2017, the Global Buddy Program had 25 pairs. This semester, there are 15 pairs, said Burke.

“The Speed Dating Event went very well,” said Beegle. “We hope to have another event toward to the end of the semester to get everyone together again and celebrate a wonderful semester of learning about diversity and different cultures.”